02 June 2004

Newcombs in the American Revolution

Kinner Newcomb (17 Aug 1756 - 6 Feb 1840)

From B.M. Newcomb's book:

A patriot soldier, Kinner Newcomb served during the War of the Revolution. He enlisted from Nine Partners in June 1776, in the Co. of Capt. Melancton Smith's Rangers, Stephen Haight, Lieut-Col.; rendered nearly five months' service there, and at Verplanks Point, Poughkeepsie, and on the Peekskill Mountains, in apprehending and guarding Tories. In Aug. 1777 he enlisted at Nine Partners in Capt. John Rouse's Co., joined the regiments of Col. Graham in Gen. Glover's brigade at Lansingburgh, marched to Stillwater, encamped on Bemis Heights until 16 Oct., then pursued the retreating army of Gen. Burgoyne, which surrendered on the 19th. Soon afterwards he returned to Albany, then Esopus, a part of the time having only roasted apples for food; was discharged at the end of three months. He was also in the Co. of Capt. Wanderburgh, Second N.Y. Regt.; served in Col. Philip Courtlandt's regiment, a portion of the time as orderly sergt.; was named Col. Marinus Willett; was a private in the Fifth Regt., Rosecranse Co. Jan 1778 to Jan 1782.

He afterward drew 600 acres of land for his services; was a pensioner under Act of 1828, and his widow Olive under Act of 1853.

Luther Newcomb (12 Jun 1762 - 8 Jun 1834) who married Pamelia Larrabee.

From B.M. Newcomb's book:

Luther Newcomb volunteered as a private, June or July 1778, for six months, while residing with his brother Daniel at Bernardston, later Leyden, Mass. There being no captain, the company was commanded by Lieut. Amasa Camp, afterward by Capt. E. Chapin. He was required to guard munitions and stores at Springfield, Mass., etc.; as guard, he accompanies the conveyance of stores to Boston, then to Brookfield, Mass., and remained, as guard to the magazine, until ordered to Rutland, Mass., to perform the same duty to prisoners from the army of Gen. Burgoyne; returned to Brookfield and was discharged at the end of six months. In the summer of 1779 he went back to Lebanon and became a substitute for his brother in Capt. Elias Bliss' Co., Col. Ledyard's Regt.; marched to Groton Fort, opposite New London, Conn., discharged at end of two months. In the summer of 1780 he rendered service on board the privateer sloop Randolph, Capt. Nicholas Bostwick of New London; crept out in defiance of several British frigates off Stonington blockading both harbors; passed outside of Long Island to Sandy Hook; captured the British privateer Hibernia, and re-captured a French vessel taken by the British; safely returned, after an absence of one month, with these and two small schooners, to New London. He was a pensioner under Act of 1832.

Obadiah Newcomb (27 Mar 1765 - 23 Apr 1850), who married Abitha Post.

He was probably not in the Revolution!

Evander Berry Newcomb, the grandson of Obadiah Newcomb gave the following account, which B.M. Newcomb indicated may have referred to Daniel (presumably he meant Obadiah's father) although Daniel died before Evander was born.

"I was only seven years old, but I remember going to his funeral with my father and mother.

"The old man was in the battle of Brandywine and served under General Green. He was chased through the swamps by Cornwallis and he told me many stories... interesting to boys of my age. He told me about the suffering at Valley Forge and how Washington used to come and cheer up the poor suffering soldiers or ragamuffins, as the redcoats used to call them when they camped through the cold winter of 1778. He got his pay in Shinplasters but they would no buy him a cracker, and he pasted them all over his kitchen all. My father had his old flint lock musket and powder horn and the family has these old relics as treasures."

If Obadiah Newcomb was born in 1765, he would have been only 13 years old in 1778. Although not impossible, it seems unlikely he was at Valley Forge. Evander's memory about the stories he heard when he was a very little boy were probably inaccurate; more likely they were told by, or about, someone other than Obadiah.

Robert Newcomb (b. 25 Sept 1759), son of Robert Newcomb and Mary Young.

From B.M. Newcomb's book:

He served in the Revolutionary War. "Robert, private, Captain John Lane's Company, Col. Foster's Regiment, enlisted 12 Jan. 1776, discharged 15 Feb. 1776, service 1 mo. 3 days, Company stationed at Cape Ann for defense of seacoast." In the casualties of the Battle of Long Island, 28 Aug. 1776, reported missing, Robert Newcomb, drummer, Col. Huntington's Regiment, 17th Continental, 1776; he was taken prisoner and never heard from afterwards; he was unmarried and perhaps died while a prisoner. "Robert, private, Captain Daniel Gidding's Company, Col. Foster's Regiments, service from 29 Feb. 1776 to date of discharge, 18 Nov. 1776, 8 mo. 18 da., Company stationed at Gloucester for defense of seacoast."

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE! If your comment or question is not directly related to this post, send it to me as email (see email link in the right-hand column of the blog). I can give it a separate post so people can find it in its own right.

We use comment moderation to prevent spam. This means your comment will not appear until it has been approved by an administrator. Unfortunately automated spammers have also forced us to add a verification scheme that makes just a little harder to post comments. We appreciate your patience.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.