06 December 2011

Luther Newcomb 1762-1834

From B.M. Newcomb's book:

Luther Newcomb volunteered as a private, June or July 1778, for six months, while residing with his brother Daniel at Bernardston, later Leyden, Mass. There being no captain, the company was commanded by Lieut. Amasa Camp, afterward by Capt. E. Chapin. He was required to guard munitions and stores at Springfield, Mass., etc.; as guard, he accompanies the conveyance of stores to Boston, then to Brookfield, Mass., and remained, as guard to the magazine, until ordered to Rutland, Mass., to perform the same duty to prisoners from the army of Gen. Burgoyne; returned to Brookfield and was discharged at the end of six months. In the summer of 1779 he went back to Lebanon and became a substitute for his brother in Capt. Elias Bliss' Co., Col. Ledyard's Regt.; marched to Groton Fort, opposite New London, Conn., discharged at end of two months. In the summer of 1780 he rendered service on board the privateer sloop Randolph, Capt. Nicholas Bostwick of New London; crept out in defiance of several British frigates off Stonington blockading both harbors; passed outside of Long Island to Sandy Hook; captured the British privateer Hibernia, and re-captured a French vessel taken by the British; safely returned, after an absence of one month, with these and two small schooners, to New London. He was a pensioner under Act of 1832.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE! If your comment or question is not directly related to this post, send it to me as email (see email link in the right-hand column of the blog). I can give it a separate post so people can find it in its own right.

We use comment moderation to prevent spam. This means your comment will not appear until it has been approved by an administrator. Unfortunately automated spammers have also forced us to add a verification scheme that makes just a little harder to post comments. We appreciate your patience.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.